Thursday, May 24, 2007

Scout SEV Hovercraft - Part 3

San Felipe Sunrise - March 2007

You will know more things the more you spend time researching the net and asking questions. For example, I am using a different engine from what Sevtec used so they are not familiar with my engine.

The deck of the Scout can be modified to be an open foredeck. That opens up different possibilities because when you open the foredeck the craft will have a wider interior.

That means side by side seating is possible also. My Scout could be the first side by side Scout with an open foredeck. I could have a width of 55.1" - that's 4.59' wide. with a length of 6.35'.
With 18" seats that will be 36" wide with 19" center space - that's enough space for access.
The deck can be supported and integrated with the hull for strength using triangle foam supports like in Bandit's Scout web page. Enclosing the space and boxing it provides additional strength as well extra weight to the structure - but it's for a good cause!

The plans does not have anything on wiring because the one on the plan did not have electric start. I did not see any pull cord on my 25 hp Tecumseh engine. It does not come with one, it was designed for riding lawn mowers that have electric start.
That means it needs a battery. I don't have the specs. I would suppose the built-in 16 amp alternator is will sufficient to charge a typical riding mower battery. Can this battery support the demands of a high powered stereo system? Probably not. Can the 16 amp alternator charge bigger battery like from a small car? I need to order the shop manual from a Tecumseh dealer.

I also have to find out which style muffler to use that will work with my setup. The engine can be lifted about an inch if necessary if the muffler is too close to the deck. The right side cylinder is lower than the left and that can be a problem with clearances.

I also have to take in consideration the mounting points for the prop guard and prop tower supports. The one on the plans is for a smaller engine. I am using a bigger engine that have a bigger dimension than the original Scout on the plans. Therefore the supports needs to be modified to work with the chosen engine.
There are no electrical or wiring diagrams and no information on batteries. I would assume that a watercraft need some instrumentation of some sort like in boats and rpm gauge, fuel gage, battery voltage or current, etc. And music stereo, marine radio, nav lights, depth finder and fish finders and other cool stuff.
The engine did not come with any diagrams, not even the choke and gas linkages. So lots of stuff to learn and investigate.

When I start living in Baja California in San Felipe I want to be able to cruise on this hovercraft and be able to take the craft on the beach. The Sea of Cortes in San Felipe has what is called a tidal bore and during low tide the water receeds way out.

That is a big challenge when boating because the water level during low tide and high tide is significantly different and that can be a problem for boats and jet skis. I started looking for a solution and I found the hovercraft.

I researched other amphibious vehicles and the Sevtec Scout became my choice as my first hovercraft. SEV - Surface Effect Vehicles. It is also known as a hovercraft type of vehicles. There are different hovercraft designs and sizes and different purpose and different shapes. The inventor of the Sevtec Scout is Barry Palmer and call his vehicles SEV's. In essense when you are flying a Scout or a SEV you flying a surface skimming vehicle.

No comments: